To increase the awareness of novel business models in a society based on bioeconomy and circular principles.
To demonstrate possible ways of creating new businesses that are green, yet economic attractive by:
• Creating awareness of environmentally sustainable business models or ways of living
• Participating in business activities that have minimal ecological footprint or encourage and spread the understanding of a viable bioeconomy or the importance of nature conservation.
Many policies are encouraging recycling of material and the transition of our current fossil fuel economic system into a bioeconomy. The opportunities are many. And we are confident that it is possible to produce many products in a sustainable way, and that people can have a fulfilling and resourceful life – without continuing the current high pressure on the planet. – novel ways of using biomass and novel ways of producing biomass are key elements.
Shifting the mindset of business operators and investors could solve many of the current and future challenges that humans face.
Viable businesses should:
* be based on the green economy principles of sustainable development.
* produce products that are degradable or reusable
* safeguard a large and diverse standing stock of natural capital
* ensure ecosystem goods and services are plentiful and healthy for future use
An impossible mission? – No, we believe it is doable!
Do you wish to know more about bioeconomy? – try reading the article by Dennis Lisbjerg in Habitat – the online magazine of Danish Zoological Society.
It is difficult to assign a monetary value to nature – and calculate a cost-benefit of altering ecosystems – see more in the article about value of nature.